Thursday, March 22, 2007

Field Trip!

While I would love to be able to knit full time (and who wouldn't) it doesn't pay the bills, so for my day job I am an architectural historian. I am currently working on a very large scale restoration project (think a former president's mansion). One of the perks of this career choice is being able to study (aka go on field trips) different types of buildings to better understand the one you are working on, and to expand your architectural vocabulary. Hence my field trip yesterday to this lovely home:



That's Bremo, a private residence in Fluvanna County, VA. We were invited to spend the whole day exploring, researching, and measuring architectural features. It was great, and the estate is truly, wonderfully beautiful. In one bedroom I even spotted this little treasure:

spinning wheel

An antique spinning wheel. It looks like it hasn't been used in years (or decades) but it really was beautiful and a great example of quality craftmanship.


You might be asking yourself what this has to do with knitting, well it was over an hour drive each way, so what is a knitter to do than...



Start her very first sock ever! It's Monkey from Knitty, and I think I am in love. I'm using Knit Picks Memories in "Geramium." I put a little kit together using a tin that I think was meant to be a pencil case. The sock, 7 inch size 2US dpns, a pencil, pattern, and row counter all fit inside snuggly. It is a great way to protect myself from the pointy dpns. So far so good. The pattern is quite easy and well written, and I am well on my way to handknit socks!