Sunday, August 26, 2007

A Month Late and a Sweater Short*

It feels like forever! Guys I'm so sorry for my absence in the last month. Life stepped in and took away all of my free time. In the past month I've been consumed by wedding plans, home redecorating, dieting, applying to grad schools and pulling together a portfolio, and putting together a totally different portfolio for a possible job opportunity. I've been swamped. In the little free time I did get some knitting done. Case in point:


Forecast from Knitty. It was all going very well. I had some lovely eggplant colored 100% wool from WEBS (their new Northampton worsted weight)a great pattern with some lovely mods up my sleeves, and lots of ambition to finish before it turns cold. Well, obviously the knitting gods did not have that in mind because I totally and utterly fucked up. First it was the charted pattern. This was my first time ever using a chart for cables (I've used a chart before for my first fair isle project, Knitty's Center Square but that was for colorwork not cables). I obviously don't know how to read a chart because I came out with this:

Effed Up Cable See how the cable is all elongated and very, well, not cable-y? Yeah, that's because in the instructions, on the wrong side rows you are supposed to just purl. Well, I didn't realize that the chart also takes this into consideration and charted the wrong side as well as the right side (I thought it just charted the right side). So I got a cable that was double the length specified. The resulting cable wasn't too bad looking, but it certainly didn't look the one in the photos attached to the pattern.

Now if it was just the cable that was messed up I might have been able to live with that, but there was another catastrophe brewing. When I got to the row count in the pattern where you put the sleeves on the waste yarn I was off on the stitch count. Wayyyyy off. So in light of all of the problems I had I decided my best option was to frog it back to the collar. This was my biggest ever frog, over a full ball was knitted that need to be frogged. So I'm back to the collar now and have done two full (correct) repeats of the chart and it is looking much better and way more cablelicious. Oh and I forgot to tell you, I finally finished Wicked! I finally frogged the crappy droopy sleeve and reknit it with more flattering decreases. I also reinforced the button holes and blocked it! I'm just waiting for a none cloudy, less than 100 degree day to photograph it properly. Hopefully, in the next post!

*OR FORECAST: Cloudy and Overcast With Huge F*ck Ups Likely