Monday, May 7, 2007

Maryland Sheep and Wool

Rusted Root is being a diva and isn't ready for her public debut yet (something about her hair still being up in curlers) but I have this to show you:



My loot from Maryland Sheep & Wool.

- 5 Skeins Shelridge Farms Worsted in Turquoise.
-4 Skeins Socks That Rock Heavyweight in Boysenberry.

That's it. I know, I know, not very much but I was thoroughly overwhelmed. So much so that I was ready to just give up and throw in the towel because it was sooooooo crowded.



Like everywhere you turn you bump into someone (sorry people I bumped into!) I was a bit claustrophobic. Also, I only had $100 to spend (damn you car repairs and expensive asthma medicine!) I had planned on taking a bunch of photos but it was so crowed there was no way I would be able to get any good shots.

I must admit I'm kinda regretting my STR purchase. I bought it with the feeling that I would make my mom a chevron scarf for Christmas with an as yet undecided second colorway. I love the vibrant color of the Boysenberry but at $27, nearly 1/3 of my budget I wished I had passed (there's always the internets). What I wish I would have bought was more of the beautiful, soft, superwash Shelridge Farms worsted. Eventually I want to make my mom a Wicked from Zephyr Style, and I wish I would have bought the yarn in person. The yarn colorways are so, so beautiful in person, but not so clear and precise on the website. I am also going to keep this in mind when I knit the Rogue Hoodie in the fall. I love that it is superwash, so soft, and very reasonably priced at 200 yds for $10.50. The base yarn reminds me of STR, the sprongy-ness and roundness of it. Overall, I really great yarn.

Next year I hope to be proficient enough with a drop spindle to take advantage of all the wonderful roving. My friend Erin and I were both looking for some but being uneducated in the art of the drop spindle, we decided not to purchase roving afterall. We vowed to have this spinning thing down to take advantage of all the roving available at the Montpelier Fiber Festival in October.